What can a grammar-checker like ProWritingAid do for you?
This ProWritingAid Review will show you how the style editor and checker software can help you improve your writing and whether it is worth the investment.
I will explain, among other things, how ProWritingAid is different from other commercial language-checking tools available today.
I also have details about a free book that you can download to help improve your writing skills.
This ProWritingAid review examines the pros and con of the editing software. It doesn’t matter if you are an author, editor or copywriter.
ProWritingAid: What does it do?
Writers, bloggers, novelists, and business professionals can use ProWritingAid’s grammar and style checking and editing tools. This editing software allows users to correct mistakes and optimize word choice.
This tool allows you to check any content, including blog posts, books and editor’s notes.
ProWritingAid can be accessed via the web browser by both Mac and Windows users. Along with Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Scrivener is supported.
The company didn’t have dedicated apps for Android and iOS at the time we wrote this review.
You can use it to verify your content for errors. However, fiction writers find it especially helpful.
According to ProWritingAid, the following is a list of resources:
Stephen King reportedly used ProWritingAid, although we cannot confirm. We know that he doesn’t like adverbs similar to us.
In this ProWritingAid review I will explain why fiction writers will find ProWritingAid, or grammar checking software, especially useful.
Who Can Benefit From ProWritingAid?
Business and blogger writers can use ProWritingAid’s free writing guide. This tool is ideal for writers who write many books, articles, and reports.
It does not require a subscription like other grammar checkers. The app is paid annually instead. You will still need to pay for plagiarism reports.
ProWritingAid can be a great option for those with tight budgets or who don’t like paying a monthly subscription.
Exactly what does ProWritingAid do?
ProWritingAid can help you check your grammar and spelling. You will also find it easier to read everything you write.
ProWritingAid is able to help you find:
- Misspellings and grammatical errors
- A run-on sentence and a sticky sentence
- A poor choice of words, including obscure, vague and redundant ones
- Inconsistency in tense
- Inadequate readability
ProWritingAid’s web and desktop apps were extensively tested as part of my review. In the final section of the review I will provide more information about ProWritingAid.
As a basic guide, here is the process:
- Start the ProWritingAid desktop app
- Create your document with ProWritingAid (supports Word, Scrivener, Markdown, text files, etc. You can find out more at
- The program scans your document
- You can check the grammar of your blog posts and other uploaded content in a panel that includes editing tools
- Spelling errors are highlighted in red by the spell checker
The editing tool offers suggestions for fixing any underlined words, such as spelling or grammar errors.
ProWritingAid has a few features that will assist you:
- Overused words
- Sticky words (words that slow down your reader)
- Abstract and vague words
- Irregular verb Tenses
- Duplicate words and phrases
- The length of a sentence
- The overall readability of your content
Using this online editing tool, you can generate reports on all aspects of your text and receive suggestions for improving each one of those aspects.
And what else?
Grammar check is just one function of this writing tool. Writers are compared with writers from the same genre, and given feedback about how they write.
ProWritingAid provides access to the reports and they can be accessed from the editor toolbar. Free version of ProWritingAid offers 22 reports that should be adequate for most writers (paid version offers 25).
There have been other grammar and spelling checkers I’ve tested, and none of them provide this level of information to writers.
Are Your Contents Plagiarism Free?
Many of my readers asked me if ProWritingAid could be used to plagiarize or steal content.
ProWritingAid can be trusted.
After the analysis ends, no text is stored or saved by the tool. The paid version has the same quality as the free one.
- $0 per annum (free version)
- $20 per month
- $79 per annum (that’s $6.60/month).
- 399 for lifetime access (includes any future updates).
Register here to get a 25% discount on these prices. Premium grammar checkers typically cost EUR20-30 per month.
Additional charges are incurred for the plagiarism checker. Ten checks are $10 each, or $10 per month. 100 checks are EUR40.
You can also purchase ProWritingAid Premium Plus, which contains 50 tests per year. Adding $10 or ,10 in addition to the regular price is required.
Is ProWritingAid available in a free version?
ProWritingAid is available for free, but it is somewhat limited.
- ProWritingAid is free ($0 per annum)
- Summary Report on Key Issues
- 19 Writing reports
- You can edit 500 words at once
- Only available online (no desktop access)
- ProWritingAid Premium ($60 per year):
- $0 per Year (Free Version)
- $20 per month
- $79 annually (that works out to $6.60/month)
- $399 for lifetime Access (includes all future Updates)
- ProWriitingAid Premium Plus (includes 60 plagiarism checks per annum)
- $0 per year (free version)
- $24 per month
- $89 annually (that works out to $6.60/month)
- $499 for lifetime access (includes all future updates).
To see if one of the premium packages is right for you, request a 14 day trial. You can also get a 25% discount
Refund Policy for ProWritingAid
In case ProWritingAid doesn’t meet your expectations, but you still want to try it, they offer a 14-day refund policy.
My Experience with ProWritingAid
Nonfiction articles that I write for Forbes use my grammar checker like this:
Writing articles is easier with Scrivener or IAWriter
IA Writer and Scrivener are my preferred editing tools.
Make sure there are no errors
IA Writer and Scrivener allow you to directly fix your source document
You can publish the article or send it to an Editor
By changing my writing workflow, I saved time when writing the ProWritingAid review.
As unabridged, I opened my source text file and edited it directly within the desktop program, without copying nor pasting.
ProWritingAid: My first impressions
This grammar checker was extremely helpful to me as a novelist and fiction writer.
Grammarly and Ginger, two premium grammar-checkers, only allow you to check a limited number of words at a given time. Thus, you can only check out an entire book on a chapter-by-chapter basis.
ProWritingAid allows you to open any document, even a book, and have it checked in parallel.
It also allows writers to inspect a piece of writing for cliches and readability. This is an important feature for those who want to make their stories more readable.
The desktop app can only be accessed online. If you want to use the desktop app offline, you will need to connect.
The Grammar Checker
Two ways were used to test ProWritingAid in my new book. The first was to upload a Microsoft Word file containing 45,000+ word from my new book to ProWritingAid.
ProWritingAid found some mistakes in my book. If I was using another tool, I would upload individual chapters to ProWritingAid.
The app scans the phone and identifies 261 errors. The report also contained other suggestions. Some of these issues were even style-related.
Checking for style issues is easy with ProWritingAid. ProWritingAid also allowed me to scan sections of my book rather than the whole manuscript.
I found that the various ProWritingAid reports were slower to generate with a large manuscript, compared to when checking individual chapters or articles. Analyzing long pieces takes time.
It was faster to review the entire manuscript in one go than each chapter individually.
The second step was to open Scrivener on my desktop and create a new book. I was able to achieve more success with this method.
My manuscript did not slow down and provided valuable suggestions for improvement.
I also saved my Scrivener project directly to my changes. ProWritingAid will be my next choice if I have any Scrivener projects.
ProWritingAid: A Step-by-Step Guide
ProWritingAid’s interface is very simple. It does a good job as a grammar checker and proofreading tool. You can get the most out of the desktop or premium subscriptions.
Now, you can use this writing tool in various ways (you can get a discount if you join my email list).
Steps in getting started
- The desktop app can be installed on your computer.
- If you don’t have your license code, enter it to activate the desktop application.
- Log into ProWritingAid to open the web editor
- ProWritingAid lets you open and create project files. Select the Open project file option to check for grammar errors in Scrivener, MS Word or other files.
- Save your file if you selected “Create”.
ProWritingAid can be used for grammar checking
ProWritingAid Premium allows you to style and grammar check in real time. In the upper left corner of your editing screen, you will see a score that changes as you edit.
What are the benefits? This will allow you to instantly see if your editing is improving or worsening the article.
- To detect common grammar errors, spelling mistakes, style-related errors, and other mistakes, click on the “Real-Time” button.
- Analyze each issue. Grammar, spelling, and style errors will be underlined in blue, red, and yellow, respectively by ProWritingAid.
- You can see the suggestion for each underlined term.
- A dictionary can be customized with a name or word.
- Depending upon the subject, you have the option to accept or reject the suggestion.
- ProWritingAid has a suggestion that you can implement if it’s a grammar issue.
- ProWritingAid will provide a basic grammar and style rule by clicking the top of each box.
- Each highlighted sentence should be reviewed until you are satisfied.
- After you are done, save your work. After ProWritingAid publishes the changes, your MS Word document or Scrivener Project will be updated.
Tips to Develop a Good Writing Style with ProWritingAid
You must repeat the steps, but this time click on “Overused” from the top menu in the web editor or desktop app.
- The All Repeats report will help you replace overused words with alternative phrases. It will greatly improve the quality of your writing.
- Use the Cliches Report to polish your sentences and check your dialogue.
- To improve your word choice, use the built-in dictionary and thesaurus. Using the tool, the tool automatically analyzes your work in order to find the word that conveys your precise meaning.
- Be consistent when switching from English spoken in the US to English spoken in the UK.
- You can use readability reports to determine the time it took to complete your document and how difficult it was to understand.
- You can also evaluate the Flesch score of your document by clicking the same button to find difficult-to-understand sentences. Only one standard English readability test is available (the Flesch Reading Ease Score).
Sentence reports using sticky sentences
Special mention should be made of sticky sentences report. Your readers will be able to see how many glue terms you use in your sentences.
“We know he doesn’t like adverbs like us!” Glue index: 61% vs Redraft
“He isn’t a fan either of adverbs!” You can choose to take or not to consider certain factors.
The guide provides a helpful breakdown of all of the types of reports and what errors mean.
How to check for plagiarism with ProWritingAid
The app has a plagiarism detector, which is a great feature for students and nonfiction writers. To use this tool, however, you will need to purchase credits.
Click here to see the plagiarism report
ProWritingAid will accept your credit. You can buy one if you don’t have one.
Anything underlined in red should be reviewed. These will be flagged by ProWritingAid as inadvertent plagiarising. Fix, edit, cit or address.
Also, check out the links in this report. These are examples where the text was used online.
I bought a ten-pack and used it with ProWritingAid’s desktop app for this ProWritingAid review. Next, I reviewed several chapters of my book. You won’t be alarmed to know that I didn’t plagiarise as I was working on my book.
It passed the test, and I was happy to see links to my Forbes and Medium articles.
This plagiarism tool is intended for academic essay writers, as well those who want to check and verify the content of their essays.
You might have lost a source or a link. This could help you find citations to nonfiction works.
ProWritingAid is easy to use.
How to use ProWritingAid with Chrome and Google Docs
ProWritingAid provides a Chrome browser extension.
The ProWritingAid plugin can be installed and used to check your writing wherever you are. It can be used to check for grammar errors in emails and social media posts.
To scan Google documents, you will need to install an additional add-in. This provides summary reports on your writing. This add-on is best used if you are writing in Google Docs. Instead of hovering over grammar and spelling errors, you won’t have full access to the full editor.
Open a Scrivener file in ProWritingAid. It will then show you the folder structure for your file. Navigate to the folders or files within your Scrivener document, and then fix any errors.
This feature was not found in any premium grammar checkers or free ones.
How to add ProWritingAid into Word
ProWritingAid may be downloaded as an Add-in to Microsoft Word or Outlook. However, it is only available for Windows. It was not properly tested.
While doing research for the ProWritingAid review I found a way around. Open a Word document with ProWritingAid and it will scan your document looking for errors and grammar.
These can be made directly within the app. You can also save the changes to a Word file.
Grammarly, Ginger, and WhiteSmoke are the most popular writing software alternatives. In this review of the best grammar-checker, I compared them all. ProWritingAid is a cheaper alternative to Grammarly.
Grammarly Review is a place where you can find reviews.
If you’re writing a book, a human editor can be a great option.
ProWritingAid Vs Grammarly
ProWritingAid was slightly more difficult to use than Grammarly.
Instead, the information was presented in text boxes. To view the issue, I had to click specific errors within a particular document.
Grammarly is not supported on mobile platforms. This might be a problem if you love to write on your iPad or tablet.
Writing reports was very enjoyable.
You will need to understand how to use abstract and vague words, as well as the length of your sentences in order to self-edit
Tests are based on the following criteria
ProWritingAid reviews are updated regularly as new features become available. This review includes chapters and book chapters that can be several hundred to several thousand words.
ProWritingAid is offline compatible?
ProWritingAid requires an internet connection. To connect to an online algorithm, it installs an application on your computer.
Can ProWritingAid be trusted?
After you submit your analysis, this grammar checker does not save or store any of your work. It’s safe. Plagiarism is not a concern.
How can I get a ProWritingAid credit?
Risk-free 14-day trial is available with ProWritingAid. In case of dissatisfaction, you can request a refund from the support team.
What is the ProWritingAid Score?
ProWritingAid can be used to check your spelling and grammar. It can be used by anyone to improve their writing, and correct typos and mistakes. It even includes a plagiarism checker.
ProWritingAid can be used with Chrome extensions.
You can use Chrome extensions to grammar-check your writing online (including tweets and blog posts)
How can I receive the ProWritingAid Discount?
Get 20% off ProWritingAid by clicking the link
What’s ProWritingAid better than Grammarly?
Besides Grammarly, you can also try ProWritingAid. It is also useful to fiction writers in addition to being accurate.
What integrations is ProWritingAid possible?
With ProWritingAid, you can integrate with MS Word, Outlook, Google Docs, Final Draft, and Google Docs. Using ProWritingAid, you can connect MS Word, Outlook, Google Docs, Final Draft, and Google Docs. Scrivener can also open and edit these files.