What can a grammar-checker like ProWritingAid do for you?
This ProWritingAid Review will show you how the style editor and checker software can help you improve your writing and whether it is worth the investment.
I will explain, among other things, how ProWritingAid is different from other commercial language-checking tools available today.
I also have details about a free book that you can download to help improve your writing skills.
Our ProWritingAid review looks at the pros and cons of the editing software, regardless of whether you’re an author, editor, copywriter, student, or professional.
ProWritingAid: What does it do?
Writers, bloggers, novelists, and business professionals can use ProWritingAid’s grammar and style checking and editing tools. This editing software allows users to correct mistakes and optimize word choice.
This tool allows you to check any content, including blog posts, books and editor’s notes.
ProWritingAid is accessible via both Windows and Mac computers. Scrivener, an app for writing books, is also supported along with Microsoft Word & Google Docs.
The company did not offer dedicated iOS and Android apps at the time of writing this review.
It can be used by anyone to check their content for errors, but it is especially useful for fiction writers.
ProWritingAid has the following resources available:
Stephen King reportedly used ProWritingAid, although we cannot confirm. We know that Stephen King doesn’t like adverbs.
This ProWritingAid Review will also discuss why fiction writers will find ProWritingAid or grammar check software especially useful (no pun intended).
ProWritingAid is for everyone!
ProWritingAid has a free writing guide that can be used by bloggers and business writers. This tool is perfect for those who write a lot of articles, books, or reports.
Contrary to other grammar-checkers, the app does not require a monthly membership. Instead, you pay a yearly fee for the app. You will still need to pay for plagiarism reports.
ProWritingAid can be a great option for those with tight budgets or who don’t like paying a monthly subscription.
Exactly what does ProWritingAid do?
ProWritingAid can help you check your grammar and spelling. In addition, everything you write will be easier to read.
ProWritingAid will help you to check for:
- Misspellings and grammatical errors
- A run-on sentence and a sticky sentence
- Poor word choice, including unclear, vague, and redundant words
- Inconsistency in tense
- Inadequate readability
ProWritingAid was extensively tested by me in this ProWritingAid Review. Near the end of the review, I will go into more detail about how ProWritingAid works.
Here’s a guideline:
- Launch the ProWritingAid desktop application
- Create your document with ProWritingAid (supports Word, Scrivener, Markdown, text files, etc. ).
- The program scans the document
- Your blog posts or other uploaded content that you want to check for grammar appears in a panel with editing tools
- Spelling errors are highlighted in red by the spell checker
In the editing tool, you can view suggested solutions for underlined words such as grammar and spelling mistakes.
A few of the features of ProWritingAid will help you to:
- Overused words
- Sticky words are words that slow down the reader.
- Abstract and vague words
- Tenses of irregular verbs
- Phrases and words that are duplicates
- The length of a sentence
- Your overall content readability
This online editing tool allows you to generate reports about all aspects of your text, and get suggestions for improving them.
And what else?
Grammar check is only one function of this writing aid. Writers are compared with writers from the same genre, and given feedback about how they write.
The reports are available within ProWritingAid and are visible from the editing toolbar. ProWritingAid provides 22 reports for free, which should be enough for most writers. Paid version offers 25.
I have tested other grammar and spelling checks, but none offer the same level information to writers.
Are Your Contents Plagiarism Free?
A number of readers have asked me whether ProWritingAid is capable of plagiarising or stealing content.
The answer is yes: ProWritingAid is safe.
After the analysis has ended, the tool will no longer save or store any text. The paid version works just as well as the free.
- $0 per annum (free version)
- $20 per month
- $79 per year (that’s $6.60/month).
- Get lifetime access for $399 (includes all future upgrades).
Register here to get a 25% discount on these prices. Premium grammar checkers typically cost EUR20-30 per month.
Additional charges may be incurred for the plagiarism-checker. Ten checks cost $10 each. Or $10 per month. 100 checks cost EUR40
Additionally, you can purchase ProWritingAid Premium Plus, which provides 50 tests annually. You need to add $10 or ,10 to the regular price.
Does ProWritingAid have a free version?
ProWritingAid can be downloaded for free but is limited.
- ProWritingAid Free ($0 per year):
- Summary Report on Key Issues
- 19 Writing Reports
- Edit 500 words at a time
- Only available online (no desktop access)
- ProWritingAid Premium ($60 per year):
- $0 per year (free version)
- $20 per Month
- $79 per year (that’s $6.60/month).
- $399 for lifetime access (includes all future updates).
- ProWriitngAid PremiumPlus (includes 60 plagiarism checks per year).
- $0 per year (free version)
- $24 Monthly
- $89 annually (that works out to $6.60/month)
- $499 for lifetime access (includes all future updates).
You can request a 14-day free trial to see if you like one of our premium packages. A 25% discount is also available.
Refund Policy for PROWritingAid
ProWritingAid will refund your money within 14 days if it does not meet your expectations.
My Experience Reviewing ProWritingAid
I use the following grammar checker to proofread nonfiction articles for Forbes:
Scrivener or IA Writer are recommended for writing articles
IA Writer and Scrivener are my preferred editing tools.
Be sure to avoid any errors
IA Writer and Scrivener allow you to directly fix your source document
You can publish the article or send it to an Editor
By changing my writing workflow, I saved time when writing the ProWritingAid review.
As unabridged text, I opened my source file and edited it directly within the desktop application, without copying or pasting.
ProWritingAid: My first impressions
This grammar checker was extremely helpful to me as a novelist and fiction writer.
Well, premium grammar checkers such as Grammarly and Ginger only allow a certain number of words to be checked at a time. Thus, you can only check out an entire book on a chapter-by-chapter basis.
ProWritingAid allows you to open any document, even a book, and have it checked in parallel.
Furthermore, its ability to check a piece of writing for cliches, readability, and passive voice is a useful feature for writers who want their stories to be more readable.
The desktop app can only be accessed online. If you want to use the desktop app offline, you will need to connect.
The Grammar Checker
ProWritingAid was used in two ways to test it for my new book. The first was to upload a Microsoft Word file containing 45,000+ word from my new book to ProWritingAid.
ProWritingAid found some mistakes in my book. If I was using another tool, I would upload individual chapters to ProWritingAid.
The app scans the phone and identifies 261 errors. Additional suggestions were also included in this report. These issues even had a style component.
Checking for style issues is easy with ProWritingAid. I was also able to scan specific sections of my book, rather than the entire manuscript.
I found that the various ProWritingAid reports were slower to generate with a large manuscript, compared to when checking individual chapters or articles. I guess analyzing long pieces of writing takes time.
It was faster to review the entire manuscript in one go than each chapter individually.
The second step was to open Scrivener on my desktop and create a new book. I was able to achieve more success with this method.
My manuscript was not slowed, and it offered many valuable suggestions for improvement.
My Scrivener project was also saved directly into my changes. ProWritingAid will be my next choice if I have any Scrivener projects.
ProWritingAid: Step-by-Step Guide
ProWritingAid’s interface is very simple. It does a good job as a grammar checker and proofreading tool. Take advantage of the desktop and premium subscriptions to get the most from it.
This writing tool can be used in many different ways. You can also get a discount by joining my email list.
Steps in getting started
- Install the desktop application on your computer.
- If you don’t have your license code, enter it to activate the desktop application.
- Log in to ProWritingAid and open the web editor.
- ProWritingAid allows you to open or create project files. You can use the Open project files option to review Scrivener, MS Word, and other files for grammar mistakes.
- Save your file if you selected “Create”.
ProWritingAid is a grammar checker
ProWritingAid premium allows for style and grammar checking in real-time. The score will appear in the upper left corner. It updates as you edit.
What are the benefits of this? You’ll be able to tell instantly if your edits are improving or worsening your article!
- Click on the “Real Time” button to detect common spelling errors, grammar mistakes, style-related mistakes, and other errors.
- Analyze every issue. Grammar, spelling, and style errors will be underlined in blue, red, and yellow, respectively by ProWritingAid.
- For each word underlined, see the suggestion.
- A dictionary can be customized with a name or word.
- Depending on the subject, you can either accept the suggestion or click ignore if it’s a style issue.
- ProWritingAid offers a suggestion you can use if there is a grammar problem.
- ProWritingAid will provide a basic grammar and style rule by clicking the top of each box.
- Each highlighted sentence should be reviewed until you are satisfied.
- When you’re done, save your work. Once ProWritingAid makes the changes public, your MS Word or Scrivener document will be updated.
Tips to Develop a Good Writing Style with ProWritingAid
The steps above must be repeated, except this time click on Overused from the top menu of the desktop app or web editor.
- The All Repeats report will help you replace overused words with alternative phrases. This report greatly improves your writing.
- You can polish your sentences with the cliches report and review your dialogue.
- To improve your word choice, use the built-in dictionary and thesaurus. This tool automatically analyzes what you do and returns the word that conveys the exact meaning.
- When switching from US English to UK English, use consistency to check spelling.
- You can use readability reports to determine the time it took to complete your document and how difficult it was to understand.
- You can also evaluate the Flesch score of your document by clicking the same button to find difficult-to-understand sentences. Only one standard English readability test is available (the Flesch Reading Ease Score).
Sentence reports with sticky sentences
The sticky sentences report should be given special attention. The sticky sentences report will allow your readers to see how many glue words are used in your sentences.
“We know that he, like us, does not like adverbs!” Glue index: 61.5% vs Redraft:
“He isn’t a fan either of adverbs!” You can choose to take or not to consider certain factors.
This guide provides an overview of all types of reports as well as the meaning of errors.
How to check for plagiarism with ProWritingAid
The app has a plagiarism detector, which is a great feature for students and nonfiction writers. To use this tool, however, you will need to purchase credits.
To view the plagiarism report, click on More.
ProWritingAid can use your credit. You can buy one if you don’t have one.
Anything underlined in red should be reviewed. These will be flagged by ProWritingAid as inadvertent plagiarising. Fix, edit, cit or address.
Also, check out the links in this report. These are instances where this text has been used online.
I purchased a 10-pack of ProWritingAid desktop apps and used them with ProWritingAid for the ProWritingAid review.
It passed the test and I was delighted to see links to my Medium articles and Forbes articles.
This plagiarism tool is intended for academic essay writers, as well those who want to check and verify the content of their essays.
If you have forgotten a source or link, it could help you locate citations for nonfiction works.
ProWritingAid’s core features are covered.
How to use ProWritingAid with Chrome and Google Docs
ProWritingAid provides a Chrome browser extension.
Install the ProWritingAid plug-in and check your writing wherever it is.
To scan Google documents, you will need to install an additional add-in. This provides summary reports on your writing. This add-on is best used if you are writing in Google Docs. Instead of hovering over grammar and spelling errors, you won’t have full access to the full editor.
Open a Scrivener Scrivener folder in ProWritingAid. Next, navigate to the files or folders within the Scrivener document and fix any errors.
This feature was not found in any premium grammar checkers or free ones.
How do I add ProWritingAid to Word
ProWritingAid may be downloaded as an Add-in to Microsoft Word or Outlook. However, it is only available for Windows. It was not properly tested.
While doing research for the ProWritingAid review I found a way around. Open a Word document with ProWritingAid and it will scan your document looking for errors and grammar.
These can be corrected directly in the app. You can also save your changes to a Word document.
Grammarly, Ginger, and WhiteSmoke are the most popular writing software alternatives. In this review of the best grammar-checker, I compared them all. ProWritingAid is a cheaper alternative to Grammarly.
Grammarly Review is a place where you can find reviews.
An editor human is a good choice if you are working on a book.
ProWritingAid Vs Grammarly
ProWritingAid was slightly more difficult to use than Grammarly.
Instead of presenting information in text boxes, I had to click on specific errors within a document to view the issue.
Grammarly is not available on the mobile platform. This might be a problem if you love to write on your iPad or tablet.
The writing reports were enjoyable.
You will need to understand how to use abstract and vague words, as well as the length of your sentences in order to self-edit
Tests are based on the following criteria
ProWritingAid reviews are updated regularly as new features become available. This review includes chapters and book chapters that can be several hundred to several thousand words.
Do you have an offline version of ProWritingAid?
ProWritingAid will require an internet connection in order to connect to an online algorithm.
ProWritingAid is safe to use?
Once you submit your analysis, the grammar checker will not save or store any of it.
Where can I apply for a ProWritingAid Credit?
Risk-free 14-day trial is available with ProWritingAid. If you are not satisfied with the service, you can request a refund from the support team.
What is the ProWritingAid Score?
ProWritingAid can be used to check your spelling and grammar. It can be used by anyone to improve their writing, and correct typos and mistakes. It even includes a plagiarism checker.
ProWritingAid can be used with Chrome extensions.
Chrome extensions are available to help you grammar-check online writing (including blogs posts and tweets).
What is the ProWritingAid Discount Code?
Get 20% off ProWritingAid by clicking the link
What are the advantages of ProWritingAid over Grammarly?
If you want an alternative to Grammarly, you can use ProWritingAid. Fiction writers will also benefit from it, since it is accurate as well as useful.
What integrations are possible for ProWritingAid
Microsoft Word, Outlook, Google Docs, Final Draft, and Google Docs are all supported by ProWritingAid. These files can also be opened and edited with Scrivener.