ProWritingAid vs Grammarly:
Which is Better for You?
ProWritingAid and Grammarly are both popular tools for people who want to improve their writing skills. ProWritingAid is a tool that helps you edit your work, while Grammarly checks for any grammar mistakes.
Which one is better?
Let’s take a look at the features of each ProWritingAid and compare them with what Grammarly offers.
The Key Differences Between
Grammarly and ProWritingAid:
- ProWritingAid is more thorough. It checks 17 types of errors, while Grammarly only checks 12.
- ProWritingAid offers a free trial while Grammarly does not.
- Grammarly has more tools to make your writing better. For example, they have a grammar checker and a dictionary lookup tool.
- ProWritingAid offers a simpler interface that helps you avoid mistakes when editing for the first time.
- ProWritingAid has more in-depth analysis of your writing. Grammarly does not offer any how-to guides to improve your writing skills and avoid mistakes by yourself.
An Expert Review of ProWritingAid
ProWritingAid is a web-based tool that helps you edit your work. It’s designed to help people improve their writing skills by allowing them to see any mistakes before submitting the written content.
There are three different versions of ProWritingAid, and each one offers slightly different features:
- ProWritingAid Basic
- ProWritingAid Plus
- ProWritingAid Premium.
All three of ProWritingAid’s versions are free to try for a month, but you will need to make an account and provide payment information if you want the full version.
What ProWritingAid Offers?
ProWritingAid checks your writing for mistakes.
You can check any sentence by hovering over it with ProWritingAid installed on your computer.
The system also highlights words that might be misspelled or used incorrectly when they appear throughout multiple sentences so you know exactly what needs to be corrected each time.
It even has a spellchecker dictionary tool which allows users to add specific words from their vocabulary that ProWritingAid doesn’t recognize as spelled correctly when ProWritingAid checks it.
2. Grammar Checking
ProWritingAid also offers an easy grammar checker.
You can use it to find and fix any mistakes in your writing. The grammar checker will change the words that are wrong with the right word so you don’t need to fix them yourself.
ProWritingAid even has a feature that is helpful when you are on the go. It can correct mistakes as soon as you make them without you needing to read the sentence over again.
3. Advanced Reading Speed
ProWritingAid also helps you edit any mistakes with your reading speed.
ProWritingAid slows down the text so that it’s easier to read, and speeds up when necessary to help keep things moving along at a good pace for readers who want their information quickly.
ProWritingAid has a lot of good advice. It will give you tips on how to improve your vocabulary and grammar. You can ask questions and look at examples inside ProWritingAid itself by pressing CTRL+ALT+H (Windows) or CMD+OPT+H (Mac).
ProWritingAid Offers the Following Advantages (Pros)
- The system provides over 20 different improvement reports, based on your writing.
- It is cheaper than most other grammar checkers.
- More integration options are available with ProWritingAid
- It offers big-picture feedback that helps you improve your writing style
- Even the free version of the software provides the most information.
- Google Docs compatible!
- Over 20 different reports are provided for possible improvements to your writing.
- ProWritingAid is available for both Windows and Mac desktops.
- If you are serious about ProWritingAid, you can choose the lifetime plan, so you never have to pay again.
- Their tools provide more integrations than most of the competition, saving you both time and effort.
Disadvantages (Cons) of ProWritingAid
- This program has a slow editing speed when you add a large section of text.
- Android and iOS applications are not available for ProWritingAid.
- Only subscribers to the premium plan can use the plagiarism checker.
- Only offer Chrome browser extensions
- Using the crawler tool with large segments of text for editing is much slower than using other grammar checkers.
An Expert Review of Grammarly
With Grammarly, you can evaluate your writing on any browser or device that has an internet connection. Using this tool, people can check for spelling and grammar mistakes in their writing.
Here are the three Grammarly versions with slightly different features:
- Grammarly Free – The free version of Grammarly will highlight spelling or grammatical errors as they are found, giving you the chance to fix them before submitting any content for publication.
- Grammarly Premium – With a Grammarly premium subscription, users can access additional features such as an ad-free interface, sentence structure suggestions, plagiarism detection etc.
- Grammarly Business – Grammarly’s business tools help companies to maintain a consistent tone of voice online. Paired with industry-specific dictionaries, Grammarly Business will also detect and correct erroneous usage of terms from different industries such as finance or law.
What Grammarly Offers?
- Pronoun Check – Grammarly has an easy pronoun check feature. It will tell you if there are words that might not work because they’re unclear. If the sentence is long, they might not remember what words refer to other words in the sentence. This can make it confusing to read and difficult to understand.
- Advanced Reading Speed – Grammarly offers an advanced reading option which will read your content at a slower pace than the normal reading speed. Paired with the paragraph-by-paragraph reading option, Grammarly’s advanced reading speeds can help people who have trouble staying on task while they read long passages of text
- Grammarly Spell Checker – Paired with the Grammarly Checker, users can find and fix mistakes as soon as they are made without needing to read over what you have written.
- Grammarly Grammar Checker – Grammarly also has a Grammar Checker which will fix the errors in your writing. It can find and change any mistakes for you so that all you have to do is look over it one last time before publishing
Grammarly Offers the Following Advantages
- It helps you correct many types of grammatical and spelling mistakes.
- You can use a lot of the basic features for free.
- Easily integrates with all types of websites.
- You can fix most grammatical, spelling, and punctuation mistakes.
- Correct texts on numerous websites and platforms.
- You can also use Grammarly to help you frame sentences in a more appropriate manner.
- Improves users’ vocabulary
- Check for contextual errors
- Improves your style of writing
- Improve your document’s readability
- Suggestions tailored to specific genres
- Add-ons for all major browsers
- Contains useful knowledge for learning grammar
- Documents can be stored indirectly on the cloud using this service.
- Checks your writing in a jiffy
- This program helps you identify common errors that you make so you can avoid them and learn from them
Disadvantages (Cons) of Grammarly
- Personal directories are not available.
- It is not possible to try Grammarly’s premium version for free.
- The Grammarly editor will sometimes stop working or stop finding mistakes until you reopen the editor.
- Some features may not be available on Mac.
- The Mac version of Grammarly does not support the Microsoft Office extension
- The free version is best for correcting basic errors in spelling and grammar, but not for writing complex sentences.
What Do We Recommend: Grammarly or ProWritingAid?
In our ProWritingAid vs. Grammarly comparison article, we have seen what each of them are capable of and how they can help writers improve their writing skills.
Paired with a spell checker or grammar checker, ProWritingAid has many features to offer that Grammarly does not provide – such as a Pronoun Check, Advanced Reading Speed, Grammarly Spell checker and Grammarly Grammar Checker.
ProWritingAid is a cheaper option than Grammarly Premium; ProWritingAid offers users many more features that would appeal to those who are looking for a free program with the ability to edit texts on numerous websites and platforms. ProWritingAid is also a unique program that can be used offline, while Grammarly Premium does not have this capability.
We believe ProWritingAid offers all the features you need to help improve your writing skills – without breaking the bank.
In conclusion, ProWritingAid and Grammarly are both good choices when it comes to editing your writing. ProWritingAid is more thorough but will require a payment if you want the full version of their software. Grammarly offers a few different features that can make your work better, like checking for grammar mistakes or helping you find the perfect word.